Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sick, sick, sick ...

So Maggie fell ill with food poisoning! A child that is g-tube fed and who hardly eats anything ... and she gets food poisoning??!! My 'black-olive-hummus-loving' hubby decided to let her share (or in Maggie's case, lick) his portion of his lunch on Sunday. Well, that little lick she had must have been enough because it was a short while later and I had a husband AND a three-year-old with exactly the same symptoms: Belly aches, vomit, diarrhea and lots of whining ... how pleasant! So it meant taking Maggie to the ER at 10:30 Sunday evening.

I was afraid she would get dehydrated since she couldn't keep anything down and she has had a history with the dehydration. But there she sat on the little hospital bed, making googly eyes at her Tigger and giggling to herself, while her poor father moaned and groaned. He sat half-asleep on a purple 'hospital-visitor' chair in the corner. Needless to say, she was fine. And he was not (since he did consume almost half of the container of hummus). We left completely exhausted about five hours later. But at least Maggie was happy and didn't seem to notice all the fuss (probably because there was a special lady that was solely there to keep Maggie happy ... thank you Danielle).

Three days later and Maggie's tummy is slowly coming right. She's digesting more milk now. And we are giving her less Pedialyte. So all's well that ends well :)

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Leaf Man!

Ben had a cold about two weeks ago. He got over it eventually. But two days afterwards, he was sneezing terribly. And his nose ran profusely. I thought that maybe he had developed allergies. Until one sunny Sunday morning, we were all in bed together as a family. Ed was feeding Maggie. And I was feeding Ben. He drank the whole bottle, as usual. As soon as he finished drinking, he sat up and sneezed. And sneezed. And sneezed again. He sneezed six times. When he was done sneezing, I noticed that he had sneezed something dark green and slimey (this would be a good time to put that BLT down ... you can eat it later). I wiped his face with a tissue and thought "Oh no, this little guy has a sinus infection ... no wonder he's been so miserable!" Upon further investigation, I realized, much to my shock and horror, that it wasn't a sinus infection. The little man had just expelled a 2-inch long leaf from his nose!! We spent the next half hour discussing how it could have possibly happened. He does have an appetite for anything that has it's own photosynthesis process. It will always remain a mystery I suppose. Let's just hope it never happens again!